Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Things are looking up

10:04pm - Visiting hours are almost over for the day. It's a bittersweet realization. Sad that we're going home and leaving him behind, but I'm also exhausted. I need some rest.

It was a good day as far as I'm concerned. They took Dad off the respirator, and the sedative. He's extremely alert and active considering the circumstances. He tries to make eye contact, and seems to like to hold hands. I don't know if it's comforting to him, but it's certainly comforting to me.

When I say hold hands, I'm understating what he does. He switches positions and can communicate simple messages. Simple stuff. He'll squeeze in response to what you're saying. But it's still pretty limited, and he's having trouble staying focused for very long.

He's showing some facial expression. Not much, but I see small indications of a smile from time to time. And it isn't random. It's in response to something we say to him. Something with some humor, or something intended to incite a funny memory.

It's a little tough to look into his eyes while he tries to speak to you. It's only a start, and it's very faint. Little more than groans honestly. But he's trying. I think. There's that little voice in the back of your mind that wonders if you aren't just seeing what you want to see.

Another visit before I go home. He didn't look at me much, and didn't want to hold hands as much. He seems tired. I didn't talk to him as much, I tried to let him rest more. He's still responsive, and when I told him it was time for me to go home, he gave my hand a good squeeze, then let go.

I'll take it for now. I'm going home.

No comments:

Post a Comment