Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Dad goes home

6 weeks, 3 days and 12 hours after leaving for the emergency room, Dad has returned home.

Ironically, it wasn't to great fanfare or celebration. We were strongly encouraging him to stay in a 24 hour nursing facility for another few weeks. Doctor's orders, and our own concerns in terms of his care.

He reluctantly gave the facility a 24 hour try, but refused to stay any longer. So we scattered in all directions to locate a wheelchair, shower seat, etc., to assist in his home care. Mom is bravely adopting the role of live-in nurse, knowing full well that she still has a home remodel to finish, and a career that has been set to the side for the last 6 weeks.

My younger brother has agreed to help out during the day, in hopes of giving Mom some time to attend to business, as well as her own mental health. I'm sure that we'll make things work, and confident that as time goes on, Dad will need less assistance.

I'll admit that he is already much happier than I've seen him since this all began. Happier, more content, relaxed and even healthier. We all converged on the house this evening, kids in tow, and talked with him as time allowed. As we left the neighborhood, it was my 12 year old that spoke up and said, "I like Granddad better at home."

Me too honey, me too.

No comments:

Post a Comment