Monday, March 30, 2009

Watching basketball

I got my game yesterday. I mentioned a little ways back how much I've enjoyed watching basketball with Dad. I got to do it again yesterday. Mom worked out that day pass I mentioned in an earlier post, and Dad got to come home for a little while.

He arrived an hour or so before the game, and got a quick trip around the house with help from my brother. He was anxious to show Dad all the work he had accomplished during Dad's stay in the hospitals. I heard Dad very clearly stating "wow." Quite a few of them, to be honest. He was clearly happy with what had transpired in his absence.

It didn't take long for him to tire, so Dad only caught the 2nd half of the game. I'm not sure that he didn't get the best nap he's had in a while, as he was able to sleep on his own bed. I'm not sure how often we checked on him during that brief time. You'd have thought someone had a newborn in the house. Regardless, it was good to sit next to him and exchange a rather clumsy high five during one point late in the game. Funny, now that I think about it. There wasn't nearly as much complaining during this loss as you would have witnessed earlier in the season.

My sister supplied us all with chocolate shakes from Wendy's. Since the frosty has become Dad's primary source of nutrition the last week or so, she felt like it seemed fitting that we all eat along with him. He seemed pleased by the sentiment.

I also witnessed him moving his right hand. The movement required intense focus, and it was little more than extending his fingers, and then subsequently squeezing them into his palm. But it was more than I've seen in the last 5 weeks. At this point, you'd have to describe any real motion on his right side in that same manner. It requires great focus and effort. I don't know what the future will bring along these lines. It's nice to imagine him fully mobile again, and able to use his hand as he used to. I don't know if that's realistic, but I'm hopeful for his sake that he'll go as far as he wants.

It was a good day. A nice afternoon spent relaxing with family, watching sports, and eating horribly fattening foods. The kids were running through the house, lots of joyful screaming and giggling. Everyone was relaxed, and Dad was happy. I'm told that he continued that frame of mind as he returned to the clinic. Hopefully with more motivation to rehabilitate and return for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment