Thursday, March 5, 2009

The fog is lifting

While this might have been an appropriate title for yesterday, I feel more comfortable using it today. I've talked about moments of clarity overshadowed by hours of confusion in previous posts. Keeping in mind that he still sleeps most of the time. But we were getting glimpses here and there that he was still in there, just not able to get through to us.

Within the last 48 to 72 hours, I believe that he's finally broken through that fog of confusion and is able to more fully understand what is happening. Within the last 24 hours, his attempts to speak have seemed much more purpose driven. I still can't understand what he's saying, but it's much less of what we took to calling the "charlie brown speech" and more variety in the tone and variety of sound.

Charlie brown speech? During almost any of those old Charlie Brown "made for TV" animated shorts, somebody would end up on the phone with an adult. While we could hear Charlie, or Lucy or whoever it was on our end, all we heard from the other was "mwaaa mwa mwa mwaaaa." That's the best I can do to explain what he has sounded like prior to the last day or so.

Progress. Baby steps.

His emotions are also more in keeping with what you'd expect. Sadness, frustration and a determination to communicate on the level that he wants. That last part is good to see. Just one more reminder that he's still here and still fighting to regain himself.

This is also his last scheduled night at the hospital. Arrangements have been made to transport him to the rehabilitation center tomorrow. Selfishly, I'm certainly going to miss the ease with which I could visit him. It was just too easy to stop by as I drive the girls to school each morning, and simply say "hi." But I remain optimistic that we are sending him where he needs to be at this stage in his recovery.

1 comment:

  1. Tim,

    I had an opportunity to see your dad this morning, my Uncle. The nurse was preparing him for his trip to OKC when I arrived. It was one of those rare moments in a hospital, that as a visitor you don't think about. I was caught off guard by the emotion that not only came over me, but also your dad. On previous occasions I was in the presence of others. When I walked in the room I said Hi Uncle Bud and his immediate response was Hi, I heard it clear as a day. I know that was a response without formulating a thought, as you said earlier. The balance of our conversation was not as clear, but I know he understood every word. He is tough as nails, as my father, his brother, is also. That is even evident in the firmness of his handshake. I can clearly see that as each day progresses he will work with every ability he has to overcome every step.

    In closing, you know you are in Gina's and my thoughts and prayers. This blog is one of the most inspirational things I have read. I'm sure it helps your family, as much as it does all that read it. Your dad has to be extremely proud of your commitment.

    Thank you Cousin,

    Steve

    ReplyDelete