Sunday, March 22, 2009

Change of pace

Dad can lift his right leg. I did a double take the first time he did it, I honestly thought my eyes were playing tricks on me. It started when his oldest brother stopped by for a quick visit. He was tell Dad about his own stroke, and subsequent full recovery. You could tell that it took a great deal of concentration and focus, but sure enough, he was able to lift it around one foot off the bed.

The whole visit was better Saturday. Actually, the whole weekend seems to have been better than the preceding weekdays. Don't get me wrong, he's a far cry from being captain happy, but he seems to be in a better place than before.

We arrived shortly after 2 pm today, and Dad was sitting up in bed in obvious discomfort. He was slumping over, and struggling to explain the source of his distress. He alternated between grabbing his forehead and his chest. I won't go through the litany of disorders that ran through my mind, I'm sure similar things are going through yours as well. Frustrated, I called for backup: Mom and his nurse.

The nurse did a quick vitals check, and put the worst of my fears at rest. After more questions, Dad agreed rather emphatically to a drink of water. And then another. Following that was a third and fourth container of lemon flavored water, the consistency of honey. So, there you go, he was thirsty. Beyond thirsty actually, it looks like he was dehydrated.

After the first pudding cup sized glass of water, Dad felt well enough to move from the bed to the wheelchair. And it was from the wheelchair that he stayed as more guests arrived. It wasn't long before we had a room full.

Dad seemed to enjoy the company, I think it lifted his spirits. Eventually he conceded to being tired, so we helped him back to the bed and left shortly afterwards. As sad as it was leaving, it was good to see him happy and surrounded by laughter.

1 comment:

  1. This is the best news! With the ability to "will" his leg to move, I believe that your Dad will now be able to walk. The therapists now have something to work with; or perhaps they already are, and we are the last to know.

    We will depart Ft. Myers, FL April 1 and head home to arrive about April 4. I am anxious to visit with Bud, and hopefully brighten his day.

    Uncle Bill

    ReplyDelete