Sunday, March 8, 2009

Addidas or Nike?

Not a question we've faced before as it relates to Dad. But it looks like one of these fine manufacturers of comfortable clothing is going to be occupying the majority of his drawer space for the time being. Yesterday it was a snazzy new pair of sweatpants, but the choice for today is a much cooler pair of exercise shorts.

And so it is that the man who was seldom caught out of trousers or slacks, is now spending all of his time in Adidas exercise shorts. He does seem to be comfortable, and it's certainly better than the hospital gown. But we've already discussed this previously.

More interaction with the staff from the rehab facility today. And once again, they continue to impress. Professional, efficient and they continue to go out of their way to be polite and kind. Such a stark contrast to where we were the last two weeks.

I promised Dad that I'd bring him some food. I thought out some options, but I don't think I hit on his favorite. Don't get me wrong, he made several expressions of approval as I ran through the list of places that I know he frequents regularly. The deal is pretty simple; he gets back to swallowing real food, and I deliver on the meal. I hope I'm buying soon.

His voice is weaker than prior to the stroke Not that this is a surprise, or that I have any idea what it means. I'm not sure why, or how much stronger it will get. It's certainly understandable. I'm sure his energy level is low, and it could obviously be tied to the weakness on his right side. He's also getting better with syllables and sounds. He's a long way from delivering a speech or hosting a talk show, but he's closer to being understandable.

Oh, I almost forgot. He answered the phone today. I'm not sure how they coordinated it, but Mom called, and he answered. She just wanted to let him know that she'd be up soon. Now, maybe they worked it out in advance, but something so simple; something I certainly try to avoid around my own house, and something we all take for granted. But he answered the phone. Go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment