Sunday, March 1, 2009

Milestones

Day 7, end of week one. Hard to believe that much time has gone by already. I'm sure that I'll say the same thing at the end of the first month, year, etc. Then again, it's hard to believe that my children are growing so fast, that I've been married so long (love you dear) and that I'm getting so blasted old. But those are all topics for a different blog.

Dad was transferred from ICU to a different wing. He'll still be monitored by telemetry, and receive more guarded care from the nursing staff than a "normal" room. But really, what is normal in hospital terms? I've been told that we're in the "stroke wing" and I've also been told that the hospital doesn't have a stroke wing. Whatever it is, we're in it. He has a phone, more freedom of movement, more privacy and much less restrictive visiting hours.

My nine year old daughter got to visit with Dad for the first time since this journey began. I hope it was a healing experience for them both. She did well at first, and then began to tear up as she struggled to talk to him. I couldn't help but notice that he was doing the same thing. I'm extremely proud of both of my daughters. The level of compassion and maturity that they have shown through this whole thing has been inspirational. I think they're teaching me more than I'm teaching them.

Dad said a word. Mom and one of my cousins were visiting, she said something about leaving and out of habit finished with, "alright?" He responded in like manner, "alright." Word began to spread quickly, and most everyone was thrilled that he was progressing. Had I been there I would likely have experienced the same enthusiasm that my mother and cousin did. But I was skeptical. After talking with the speech therapist, I understand better what happened. She explained that automatic responses are generated in a different part of the brain, and what he did is completely normal. It's certainly good insofar as it's clear that he understood what he was hearing. Unfortunately, it doesn't show progress in his ability to formulate sentences or even words, at will. On that note, he is mumbling more, and trying very hard to be coherent. I believe that he will talk again.

We visited with that rehabilitation center I mentioned previously. It's amazing. We have an appointment to visit with the rehab people at his current hospital. I just don't see how they can compete with what we saw today. Swimming pool, greenhouse, transitional apartments, spacious rooms, etc. We'll see tomorrow. While I'd hate the 30 minute drive, he needs the best opportunity for recovery that we can provide.

How close are (or were) you to your parents? I consider it to be a blessing to be a part of a large extended family, and most of these nuclear families are still extremely close. Many of them work (or worked) together, further strengthening the bond. Some vacation together, live in the same neighborhoods, etc. The week spent living in the ICU waiting room was eye opening. The other large families, loud and happy together, the mother sitting alone crying over her daughter, the strong silent types and the couples wringing their hands as they tried to busy themselves between newspapers and magazines. I count myself very fortunate that I'm still close to my parents as well as my brother, sister, cousins, uncles and aunts.

Enough for now, this post, and the month are coming to an end.

No comments:

Post a Comment